• Slider

For many different types of home repair and improvement jobs, permits are required. Though simple repairs usually don’t call for permits, additions or major changes—particularly those that involve structural work, electrical, heating, and plumbing—usually demand that you get the appropriate permits from the local building department.

If you’re working with a contractor or subcontractor, this professional usually handles the permit process. How do you determine which remodels and renovations require permits? Most contractors will know ahead of time, but it’s good for a homeowner to be aware and avoid fraud or future repairs. The general rule of thumb is that structural, electrical, plumbing or mechanical work will require a permit, but here’s more information:

Any structural, electrical, plumbing or mechanical work that involves major structural changes


While some work may not require permits, it must be performed by contractors registered to work within the City of Beeville and with the appropriate state licensing for each trade discipline. * A homeowner may only do work on His/Her primary residence (His/Her dwelling place) but is still required to conform to permitting requirements and ordinances of the City of Beeville *

Building Work that Does Not Require Building Inspections or Permits:
  • Screens for windows and doors.
  • Roof patching (Less than 25 percent of roof areas may be repaired within any 12 month period)
  • Painting (interior, exterior)
  • Floor or wall covering
  • Repair and/or replacement of exterior siding, brick veneers, masonry, trims or other exterior wall covering not exceeding 25 percent of the wall being repaired and/or replaced.
  • Cabinets without fur down spaces (surface mounted).
  • Replacing doors or windows.
  • Repairing non-structural and/or non-fire resistive components of a building without altering the exit system
  • Replacing or repairing sheetrock and paneling that maintains existing standards
  • Uncovered patios (flat work without a pier and beam support system) at ground level
  • Fixing broken stair treads
  • Installing or replacing locks
  • Shelves
  • Recreational equipment such as pre-fabricated swing sets, picnic tables, lawn furniture and other portable equipment
  • Clothes hanging pole supports
  • Tree forts (playhouses) less than 60 square feet in area
Plumbing Work that Does Not Require Building Inspections or Permits:
  • Repair of leaks which do not alter the plumbing system.
  • Replacement of shower heads, including spray massage.
  • Replacement and resetting of any plumbing fixtures, faucets, or appurtenances thereto which are to remain at their existing location,
  • Repair of sections of water, sewer, vents, gas and drainage lines which do not exceed five (5) feet in length.
  • Replacement of appliances such as garbage disposals, trash compactors, and dishwashers without altering the plumbing system; excluding boilers/water heaters.
Mechanical Work that Does Not Require Building Inspections or Permits
  • Repair of any electrical portable heating device.
  • Repair of any portable ventilation equipment.
  • Repair of any portable cooling unit.
  • Repair of any steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this Code.
  • Replacement of any individual component part or composite component part within an approved assembly unit, in which its replacement and replacement part does not alter its original approval or make it unsafe and complies with this code. This exception shall not be construed to include replacement of a complete assembly unit such as a condensing unit, furnace, or other such assembly units as assembled by the original equipment manufacturer.
  • Repair of any portable evaporative cooler.
  • Repair of any self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 lb (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant and actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (7.46 W) or less.
  • Replacing or repairing of existing vent pipes with proper clearance and roof flashing.
  • Replacement or extension of ducts within the space of existing ducts.
  • Replacement of grilles.
Electrical Work that Does Not Require Building Inspections or Permits
  • Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.
  • Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles but not the outlets therefor.
  • Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.
  • Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment operating less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.
  • Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

There are several methods of scheduling an inspection:

  • You may fax your request to (361) 362-9013
  • You may submit an online request
  • You may contact our office at (361) 358-4641 ext 240 or  243

When scheduling an inspection please include the following information:

  • Permit #
  • Address
  • Contractor
  • Owner
  • Phone #
  • Type of Inspection